SharePoint: Unique Solutions for Homeland Security Partners
As information sharing has become more common across local, state, and federal agencies, homeland security partners need tools to manage this critical data. SharePoint has emerged as an information sharing tool that can assist emergency managers, law enforcement agencies, and others across the homeland security enterprise with the sharing of sensitive data with internal and external partners, quickly and securely.
SharePoint’s customizable web-based platform is multi-faceted and provides a wide range of capabilities. Features such as document sharing and collaboration, secure file management with the ability to restrict users or user groups, customizable interfaces to meet unique mission requirements, and database management tools to include alerts and notifications could greatly benefit homeland security professionals.
Examples of how agencies can use SharePoint:
- Emergency management professionals can use SharePoint to track equipment across a geographic distance. Equipment that is distributed to multiple agencies and multiple locations can be catalogued or monitored for expiration dates, and individual team members can provide updates
- Emergency managers tasked with continuity of operations (COOP) planning can use SharePoint as a document library. Using SharePoint, maintaining COOP plans, contacts, and other documentation makes disaster planning for individual departments or across multiple agencies possible
- Law enforcement agencies can use SharePoint to process information in real-time to manage complex investigations and provide situational awareness across multiple agencies. Tools created in SharePoint allow multiple agencies to simultaneously input information for major cases, including AMBER and human trafficking alerts, into a central repository, allowing multiple agencies to collaboratively monitor threats
- Special event planners can use SharePoint to manage large events. During the preparation phase, sensitive information such as contact lists and facility graphics can be placed in SharePoint to facilitate collaboration among security personnel. During the operational phase, SharePoint can transition into a tool used for real-time incident monitoring for first responders
- First responders and emergency managers can centralize training logs via SharePoint across jurisdictions or locations
The solutions SharePoint provides for homeland security professionals are as diverse as the agencies that use them. Tailorable tools – customized with the critical needs of homeland security partners in mind – can help agencies prepare for and respond to critical natural disasters and large-scale security events.
About Arc Aspicio
Arc Aspicio is a management, strategy, and technology consulting firm that takes a mission-oriented approach to complex client challenges. As a rapidly growing company, Arc Aspicio has a bold strategy for 2016-2018 that drives growth through new capabilities in strategy, design, human capital, data analytics, information sharing, cybersecurity, and strategic communications. The company is known for a strong, collaborative culture that values gratitude – for its clients and its great team. And, #welovedogs! Follow us on Twitter @arcaspicio or learn more at www.arcaspicio.com.